August 22, 2008

Thomas Von Party Interview - TURBO RECORDINGS


1. Can you tell us about some of your upcoming material?
We've got tons of great stuff coming... Sunglasses at Night remixes released this week, Proxy's monster 'Raven' coming out early October, great new stuff by Jesper Dahlback, DMX Krew, huge new ZZT, great Brodinski, Guy J... the list goes on!! We'll be doing a double cd compilation as well called Omnidance, and an LP for Proxy in early 09.

2. Is Turbo keen to follow certain musical and cultural trends? Does this have an influence on your work?
Not at all!! I think it's obvious from our releases that we don't stick to any trends, we cross genres and release records in a very personal way, not to fit in to any scene or even to please our core audience. The label is really just about putting out music that Tiga and I love.

3. Will there be a tour down to Australia similar to the Omnidance tour in the coming months/year?
I really hope so... I don't know if it'll happen before the end of the year but it's definitely something we want to do.

4. I think you would agree that there is currently a noticeable shift in the focus of new electronic music from France to Canada. Who do you think are the artists/producers responsible for this shift? Do you think this is just a temporary change or something more permanent?
That's not something I've heard at all :) I want to go along with it but I'm not sure there are too many examples... there are lots of great producers originally from Canada: Konrad Black, Richie Hawtin, Tiga, Marc Houle, etc etc... Personally I'm happy to report that I have a couple of old friends in Montreal that are starting to make some great tracks which will be on Turbo in the next months... Mike Mind and Brad Lamborghini... names to look out for!

5. What were your thoughts on Australia when you came down here to support The Presets?

I had an incredible time in Oz... I spent a lot more time in Sydney, Brisbane and Byron Bay... Melbourne was a bit of a blur... but the trip was awesome, Aussies put me in a good mood!

6. What was the best party you've ever been at? As a performer or otherwise, who played there? What would be your ideal party?
I was 14 years old. It was a halloween rave called 'Realm'. Tiga was playing trance, I ate mushrooms on a school bus on my way there... the party was in a bingo hall... the things dreams are made of!

7. Some cynics are labelling rock bands and italo-disco producers (such as: Metallica & Giorgio Moroder) as the “in vogue” influences, what do you say about this, and what are your influences?

Not a Metallica fan, myself, Moroder I love :) Disco is the best, but man it gets boring to hear people talk about how they are obsessed with Italo now... it's in a permanent state of 'revival'.

I grew up around a lot of 80s music so I guess that's the most meaningful template for me. When I was really young I loved Billy Idol, Adam Ant, Peter Murphy, Prince and Depeche Mode, but in the modern electronic world I have to pay respects to the masters: Aphex Twin and Daft Punk. Of course, I've also always been influenced by my brother, Tiga.

8. What is your favourite kind of Moose Burger?
I prefer wombat stew, mate!



No comments:

Post a Comment