September 30, 2008

Interview with Shadow Dancer - Boys Noize Records



Shadow Dancer is a duo made up of Paul and Al Farrier. Based in the UK, they got signed to Alex Ridha's Boys Noize Records in 2007. Since then they've released 2 smashing EP's from BNR; Poke (2007) and Cowbois (2008). They are quickly becoming a key act of BNR, playing at shows with the likes of Crookers, Para One, Bobmo and Surkin. The much anticipated "Soap", Wedding parties, not being able to dance and the lack of sheet music are all discussed, enjoy.

1. Did your childhood/upbringing affect your attitude towards music and also production?

Our mum and dad were both huge music fans when we were kids. Not necessarily electronic music, but I think having shelves full of records rubbed off on us. There were no musical members of the family so we were never actually encouraged to learn how to play an instrument or write sheet music or anything like that. We just liked making noises. I would have to guess that my love of heavy compression (as with many other producers) comes from taping music from FM radio as kids......I remember thinking that quite a lot of music sounded better when subjected to radio compression than the version you'd buy.

I was very shy growing up too (still am now, but far less so than as a child), and I've always used music as an escape. A cliche, I know, but it probably explains my borderline obsession......

2. What’s the BNR community like as a record label?

We get looked after ;) Alex is very supportive and enthusiastic - especially when it comes to trying out new ideas rather than just sticking to what people might perceive as a "BNR sound". We have fairly similar tastes in music, too, which I guess makes it easier to see where I'm coming from with certain ideas.

And the other artists are refreshingly free of big egos....I hate that kind of thing....they're just passionate about music. Also, I like the fact that BNR don't go over the top with the hype......it's a great way of ensuring you don't get killed off by over-exposure.

3. Are you working on anything at the moment?

Soap is finally coming out in November! And the album was finished a couple of weeks ago with a January '09 release being the current plan. In the meantime, there's a new track on the 'BNR Vol. 1' compilation which just came out, and some remixes for Fool's Gold and Suicide Club still to be released.

I just intend to keep writing and sending stuff to Alex until, hopefully, we have enough for the next EP / album.

4. Do you like the direction music is taking at the moment? What do you think about blogs, hype, and the "spread the word" culture that is evolving on the internet?

A couple of years ago, I did see blogs as a very positive thing for promoting unknown artists but, more recently, the culture of giving away 320kbps mp3s of already hyped artists comes across more as the bloggers trying to make a name for themselves than anyone else. It also seems that people are using blogs as taste-makers rather than going out and taking chances to discover something genuinely new and exciting. I have no problem with the "spread the word" culture, but posting a snippet of a track is all people surely need if they actually want to support the artists they love. There seems to be an ignorance of the consequences of not paying for music; your actions will destroy the very thing you are passionate about. Rant over ;)

5. What was your favourite party, in your whole life? And who was playing?

Actually, I've just returned from a weekend-long wedding party at a remote, (supposedly haunted) old country house in Devon that pretty much fits the bill.....we had a soundsystem and we played along with other friends of the bride and groom. In the end, a small (more hardcore) group of us stayed up all last night and I just kept on playing until we had to pack up and leave ;) I'm on a bit of a come-down from it all at the moment, wishing I was still there......but it'll be hard for any proper club night to beat it.......

6. Have you actually ever tried to dance with your shadow?

I normally avoid dancing - with a shadow or not - as I'm pretty rubbish at it. Isn't there some saying about people who can't dance taking up Djing? There may be some truth in it. The last couple of times I've got a bit caught up in the moment (and lost in the music), it wasn't so much dancing as jumping up and down excitedly: on stage with Crookers at Valtifest in Amsterdam (I fell over and got covered in bruises) and last night during the groom's DJ set at that party (I managed to stay upright, I think).....


Daytime Drinking - Shadow Dancer



1 comment:

  1. a nice interview and a nice blog
    keep on guys you re doing a nice job

    ReplyDelete